Saturday, March 8, 2014

In My Laboratory

I have done only a few tiles this week, because I'm in Experiment Mode.

1. The fabric paint pens that served me well on the white sneakers did nothing at all for my well-worn gray lace-less All-Stars. I was testing on those before going anywhere near the new black high-tops. After a couple of visits to Dick Blick's, I now have white, silver, and red acrylic fabric paint pens, in fine and ultra-fine, that are testing nicely so far. I'll name names when I know it's all good for sure.

2. I went to Kohls this morning to return a couple of things and everything there was on sale, so, uh-oh. Not only did I pick up some spring clothes that are not black or gray, I found a pair of Tom's like slip-on canvas shoes, kind of a taupey-camel, for cheap. All right, I was looking for canvas shoes for cheap. Time to plan out my designs for those, too.

3. Next door to Kohls is A.C. Moore (crafts, if you don't have one near you) and I had coupons! What else could I do? I got some nice smooth stones to experiment on, as well as a little bitty wooden birdhouse, and some Gesso, one white and one clear. Should I put a coat of Gesso on the rocks or wood before I tangle? After? Should I use the paint pens on those instead on ink? (I already learned the hard way that wood is not friendly to Micron pens.)

4. And tonight I'm going to try some more real strings. I found a Pinterest board that has many pictures of nautilus. Nautiluses? Nautili? Anyway, they are terrific looking, and perfect for tangling.

What are you experimenting with lately?

qss

No comments:

Post a Comment